Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Who's your daddy?

I hate to exercise.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned that somewhat important fact in a previous post or not, but even if I did it's still worth repeating...I really do hate to exercise. In fact, when it comes right down to it, I only know one person who hates to exercise more than me and when she started exercising, I figured it was time for me to board that train. (Thanks, Shea Shea for inspiring me.)

So, tonight was my very first hill training night, and being as though I hate to exercise (yes, I decided to say it AGAIN), I was really dreading this evening. But I knew I had to do it so I threw my bike in the car and drove to Kechi after work (for you non-Kansans, Kechi is right outside of Wichita). I found a stretch of hills and nice spot to park on the side of the road (basically in a field). I got out the car, got my bike out the car, put the helmet, jacket, gloves, shoes, & sunglasses on (yes, I have that much crap to get ready before I can start) when a farmer in his overalls comes outside and yells, "Git! Git! Git off my properteee!" So, I threw all my crap back in the car and I "gitted."

Drove up three or four miles, there were still hills so I found another little parking spot - again, it was off the road - and got all my crap back out of the car, redressed, and started pedaling. It was a rough start. Hill one and two hurt. But somewhere about three miles in, I looked down and realized I was going 15.6 miles per hour UPHILL! This is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G for me! I felt so good and so happy that I actually yelled, "Who's your daddy" out loud to the hill. It was not long after this that I saw a police car next to MY car. I hauled butt over to my car and played the whole, "Oh my gosh, officer, what's wrong? Did I do something?" Now add a total ditzy tone to that and you'll know exactly how stupid I sounded...but it worked. No ticket for me. He did provide me with information on another place to park. So, here we go again...

Threw all the crap back in the car and drove a few more miles up the road to Furley. Parked. Got all my crap out and started a second round of hills. Hurt like hell, but at this point I didn't care because I was still feeling euphoric from my "Who's your daddy" hill. By the way, I've NEVER said that phrase before, but for whatever reason it woked in this situation. Anyway, I did only about 4 more miles of hills when it started to get dark so I packed up and as I was about to leave, ANOTHER farmer comes out to tell me that I can't park there. WTF?

So, I did it - I completed my first week of hill work. And for as much as I was dreading it, I am in the best mood right now. I still hate to exercise, but I LOVE how it makes me feel...afterward. And this is why it's all worth it. Now it's time for a treat...Skinny Cow for a Cycling Cow.

Skinny Cow ice cream in individual servings - only 150 calories!
Try it - you'll love it.

I've had a really productive training week this week. I set a purpose for each workout and I think it helped me to stay focused. I've also been really pretty good about eating healthy this week. So much so, that I can't wait to weigh in on Friday. I have no doubt that I'll be yelling, "Who's your daddy" when I get on that scale! Whoop Whoop! (And yes, I'm the aggravating girl in a crowd who likes to "Whoop Whoop" when she gets excited!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you! (And I can't believe you got yelled at by two farmers in one night... at least the police officer was nicer!) I don't think I've ever even heard of Furley.

    When you have that much adrenaline pumping, I think yelling "Who's your daddy" is totally acceptable and appropriate. I can just picture you doing that! :)

    ReplyDelete